Although entrepreneurship has a reputation for requiringunconventional thinking, there are many establishedstrategies, best practices and techniques that contribute toa jewellery entrepreneur's success. Based on industry experience, these lessons allow start-ups to minimize their learning curve and follow the most efficient routes to success.Working with the raw materials frees you to produce exactly what you envision. Jewellery designers are often at the mercy of the metalsmiths they commission to create their pieces. Fashion jewellery artists depend on their component suppliers. As a metalsmith however, your only limit is your imagination. Roll, saw, solder, rivet and polish precious metals into unique, wearable artworks.
Students learn the importance of planning to the success of theirbusiness goals. As part of the course, students produce detailedbusiness plans for a new venture to fully understand conceptssuch as type of business, location, store design, customerdemographics and pricing. The bureaucratic mechanisms foroperating a new venture are discussed together with commonoptions for start-up financing and the importance of stagedgrowth. Specific examples make use of Singapore laws andregulations, but international variations are highlighted.
- EN101: The challenges of entrepreneurship - what to expect
- EN102: Business planning for investment and success
- EN103: Registering names, trademarks, companies and more
- EN104: Defining business image, culture and communications
- EN105: Developing and maintaining brand on a budget
- EN106: Sourcing and working with suppliers
- EN107: Jewellery trade fairs and effective buying strategies
- EN108: Evaluating sales avenues and opportunities
- EN109: Special considerations for larger clients
- EN110: Effective low-cost customer acquisition methods
- EN111: Accounting, finance and regulatory responsibilities
- EN112: Self assessment methods and evaluating progress
1 week (Full-time), or
5 weeks (Part-time)
JDMIS runs week-day, weekend and weeknight courses for this popular course. JDMIS also has flexible make-up schedules and graduates can return without cost for refresher courses (subject to availability).
Course fee is inclusive of GST and reference materials provided during the course